11.10.2006

Mini Swiss Chard & Feta Turnovers

mini_swiss_chard_&_feta_turnovers

Little things are so cute, aren't they? When I saw Sam's little philly cheesesteak turnovers over at Becks & Posh I thought how cute! and how delicious! But Sam made her own dough. Yikes. Now I'm not a good dough person nor do I like making dough as the flour gets everywhere and when fat is required it sets a thin film over everything I touch. But, the recipe seemed easy enough and I am so glad I used it because it was easy and delicious!

Dough Recipe:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 stick (4 oz) butter cut into cubes
8oz cream cheese or fromage blanc
1/2 tsp kosher salt


Combine all of the ingredients together in a food processor or Kitchen Aid until a dough forms. Wrap in waxed paper and rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make the filling.

I used cream cheese because it's easier to find. A quick whirl of the food processor and I became dough woman. For the day at least.

For the filling...
I blanced a few bunches of swiss chard and cooled them in an ice bath. Drained and squeezed most of the water out. Slice into thin bits. Sweated finely chopped onion in olive oil. Added red pepper flakes, garlic & swiss chard. Crumbled feta in when mixture had cooled a little bit.

Filling the little cutouts of the dough was kind of fussy. And since I made two batches of the dough, the rolling, cutting, filling and cooking took some time out of my day. But I can't wait to try out some other fillings. Pork bulgogi with king oyster mushrooms & scallion? Yumm. My mouth waters now.

tv_dinner_turnovers

21 comments:

One Food Guy said...

Hi, these look great on the outside! How were they? I'm thinking of trying these replacing the cream cheese with soft goat cheese and adding a heartier filling. The Mrs. is allergic to dairy (from cows) and goat/sheep milk cheeses are the only ones in our fridge. Nice job!

susan said...

hi one food guy,

thanks for visiting my site! i completely agree with you on the heartier filling. the turnovers were good but i would prefer some meat inside. they were actually for a weekly catering that requires vegetarian food. i wouldn't mind just stuffing the whole thing bacon and serving with a side of tapatio.

One Food Guy said...

Everything tastes better with bacon and hot sauce!

-Scott

Sam said...

isnt that dough just the best?!

susan said...

sam,

thanks so much for sharing the recipe! it's made me a little bit more welcoming towards dough making. :)

Anonymous said...

You have a good rolling pin, Ewe-ner?

susan said...

hi dex,

i have an ok rolling pin. my first one actually. i haven't gotten a new one though bc i rarely use the darn thing at all.

One Food Guy said...

do you think the dough would come out as well with soft goat cheese, like silver goat, instead of the cream cheese? I mean, they taste is pretty similar.

susan said...

i think goat cheese would taste really good. do you think it'll be ok for the texture? mm, now you got my cheese brain rolling. i wouldn't mind trying a filling of bacon & blue cheese.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind trying that filling either!

And you're getting a rolling pin in your stocking!

Chubbypanda said...

Awwwww! Too cute!

I have a problem eating cute foods. I start feeling sorry for them, inventing backstories and narratives, and...

I had a very lonely childhood.

- Chubbypanda

susan said...

hehe thanks dex. that means you gotta cook something with me with the rolling pin!

Anonymous said...

Tortillas, baby!

susan said...

oh hell yeah. i be down to make some tortillas. never have but whenever i have fresh ones it's heavenly. :D i look forward to our tortilla meeting.

susan said...

hi chubbypanda,

:) you're too funny. next time i'll make small turnovers but not so cute, just for you. but then maybe you'll start feeling sorry for them bc they're not cute!

Anne said...

I'll be coming over for dinner when you make the bulgogi/mushrooms ones. Just giving you fair warning.

How about kimchee & cheese? Some people might cringe but I love that combo.

justinsloe said...

yoony'll put kimchi in anything


mmmm, kimchi cereal

susan said...

when my mom first told me that people were making eggs w/sauteed kimchi and cheese i was kind of repulsed. then i tried it. it's hella good! kimchi is only good with american cheese though, imo. and really that's the only thing it's good for.

justin you gross! now i know what to make you for dinner tonight.

Chubbypanda said...

I'm with TAG and yoony.

Chopped kimchi, natto, and sriracha. It's the bomb, I swear. Great on rice. Add some cheese and bread, and it makes and awesome sandwich. Might make pretty good filling.

- Chubbypanda

Anonymous said...

eww...kimchi cereal! i've had kimchi pasta that included american cheese and i have to admit that it was pretty good. i also know that some kimbap shops include cheese with kimchi.

e d b m said...

Yes, can i have some kimchi/bulgogi ones. Nice job on these, they look great Yoony. I give you props for actually baking something haha - i know we both hate baking! I'd like to try one w/ apples, chorizo and goat cheese.