11.28.2006

Happy 1st Birthday Lunch in the Palisades

I was hired few weekends ago to cater a lunch party celebrating the client's 1-year old baby daughter. Sure why not? I didn't have any plans that weekend and 20-25 people sounded like something I could handle. The guests were to be mostly adults but a few children in tote also, so I had to make sure there was something kid-friendly in the menu.

That Saturday was a beautiful and clear day here in LA. Driving down PCH was nice. It had been a long time since I've gone that way, which I frequented daily commuting to high school the last two years of attendance. I got to the house early and started setting up but had to be quiet for the baby was peacefully asleep upstairs. The house and kitchen was beautiful though which made it such a pleasure to work there.

A sizeable island with a viking range took up camp in the middle of the kitchen while the two ovens were off to the side and I was blessed with so much counter space. Not only that, the house and the kitchen was flooded with daylight. It was refreshing and of course I started daydreaming about my own dream kitchen. It was impeccably clean, organized and peaceful.

Then the guests started to roll in. With the kids. This is the point you drown out the noise and concentrate. I was pretty relaxed the whole time but I could feel the hectic raise the tension of the host and the helpers as they tried to get everything in order.

I started off the guests with two appetizers...

goat_cheese_mousse
Goat Cheese Mousse with Roasted Grape

cannellini_bean_crostini
Cannellini Bean Crostini with Salsa Verde

Then....

roasted_kabocha
Roasted Kabocha Squash with Dandelion Greens, Bacon, Pecans & Ricotta Salata

israeli_couscous
Israeli Couscous with Currants, Pinenuts & Basil

sliders
Organic Beef Sliders with Romesco & Smoked Cheddar

The client and guests were really pleased with the food which made me happy. see? ----> :D I even got to use their outdoor viking grill for the little itty slider patties, which acquired that great smokey grilled taste. While I had a short break I stuffed my mouth with one of em, one that was cooked a little more pink. Yumyum! I like cheese, I like burgers, and I like romesco. Taste of success.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want the burger right NOW! it looks so good.

dealinhoz said...

Nice job, food looks great. I miss your korean-style burger from the last wedding. I don't miss the smoke from the kitchen cooking those. did you see my last comment from your "What I eat" post?

Anonymous said...

Your burger is better than father's office!!!! : )

susan said...

hi guys,

thanks for keeping up with my blog. i know i've been slow with it. the what i eat posts are totally blowing my cover bc you can tell when i made which food!

hi dylan,

happy belated thanksgiving! yes a dinner sounds great! i can take us to a good korean place if you want. red lion sounds good too. what have you tried there? i've stuck to sausages, fries & pretzels so far.

Anonymous said...

If you ever need help catering, let me know. I'm not kidding. It seems like it would be fun. You make it look so simple.

justinsloe said...

me wants yoonburgers

susan said...

hi grant,

thanks for offering your help!. i would love to cook with you sometime. i think we would have fun cooking together since we have some similar tastes. it'll probably be all s.goin'd out. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud to say I know you, Ewe-nee! Well done, as always!

No make me some VEGGIE sliders! =Þ


(Please?)

*sheepish meepish*

Chubbypanda said...

Great looking spread, Yoony! That's gotta be one spoiled 1-year old.

BTW, was that the post I saw on Chowhound where someone was looking for kid food for their 1-year old's party?

- Chubbypanda

Daily Gluttony said...

omg yoony, everything looks fantastic!!! to CP's point--what a lucky 1 year old! (not that she'd be able to enjoy any of it yet!)

susan said...

thanks everyone for your compliments & support. :) that 1 year old girl was lucky indeed!

cp - the person was referred to me by a friend. i'm not sure about chowhound??