9.15.2005

Guelaguetza

guelaband
jammin away.

One Sunday afternoon, Boy and I parked the car on Olympic and walked around to the corner to find the entrance to Guelaguetza, an Oaxacan restaurant. I got to the corner door and wondered if it was the right entrance. Seemed awfully quiet. I slowly opened the door and whoa! I was hit with some serious party music! The place was packed! There was a mess of people waiting but somehow we got a table in about 5 minutes, probably because we were only a party of 2.

guelachips

First we were served a complimentary basket of Tortilla Chips with Red Mole and Queso Fresco. This was so delicious. Guelaguetza's red mole really hits the spot. Full of spices and ground nuts but a bit sweet, it was serious good eats. When the server brought our entrees he took off with the basket and I cried "noooooo" ever so lightly but he heard me and brought it right back. Apologies and all. Teehee. That's how good it was.

guelacarne

I had the Carne Combo with quesillo (Oaxacan string cheese), chorizo, tasajo (salted beef) and cecina (spicy salted pork). In some cases and recipes i've seen the terms tasajo and cecina interchanged but not quite sure. I think cecina can be beef or pork while tasajo is specifically beef. Anyhow, it was so frickin good! Even though I had a huge plate I could not stop eating.

guelamolenegro

Boy got the Mole Negro con Pollo which was also delicious. Quite intense and smoky for the casual mole eater. Guelaguetza's food, service and entertainment was great. I'm glad it's only a few minutes from my place.

**"Guelaguetza," a Zapotec word signifying offering, is an annual ceremony and celebration held in July each year to propitiate the gods in return for sufficient rain and a bountiful harvest.

3014 W Olympic Blvd
213.427.0608

3337 1/2 W 8th St
213.427.0601
Guelaguetza

No comments: