6.29.2005

Sushi Nozawa...Trust Me

nozawa

Tucked away in a little strip mall in Studio City, Sushi Nozawa is definitely a haven for serious sushi lovers. Do not expect wine and atmosphere. The inside of the restaurant is stripped down as the mall and is decorated from every angle with Master Nozawa's motto "Trust Me."

The sushi there is the best I've ever had. Everything is so fresh and amazing. There is a story that other sushi restaurants follow Nozawa to the fish market in order to buy the same stuff. The second the fish hits your mouth, you can tell that the fish must be the freshest in the lot. I salivate just thinking about it. Highlights for me include sweet shrimp, red snapper, toro and crab roll. The warm rice is lightly packed into the perfectly sized bite. It drives me crazy when sushi has too much rice you can't even chew it properly and it gets in the way of the fish.

Master Nozawa is really a character. Very serious with barely any expression, I've only seen him crack a smile once and show some warmth. I assumed the customer is a loyal regular.

Do not be an idiot and try to order some roll or get huffy about them not carrying wine or something. This is a bonafide sushi restaurant for serious followers. Go omakase ("entrusting") and you won't be disappointed. And if you are? Well... you can always go across the street to Todai. shudder~

11288 Ventura Blvd. Ste C
Studio City, CA 91604-3149
818.508.7017

1 comment:

Ana said...

Nozawa is the BEST sushi place I've been to. My boyfriend and I have been there a bunch of times, and it seems like it gets better every time.