6.25.2005

Baby Baking Steps: Coconut Macaroon

macaroon

Okay so I really don't like to bake. But that doesn't mean I don't like what comes out of the oven. Well maybe not mine. But all that waiting and no peeking, it makes me so antsy! Even when I turn on the oven light I have to stick my face right against the door to even see a semi-blurry image of the blobbly thing I put in the oven. So I crack open the door just slightly and peer over with my curious face. And what do I get? A hot gush of heat and sticky eyelashes.

Baking is such a science. For me it's not that fun to mix a bunch of ingredients in a bowl or make a dough, put it in a dark cave called oven where I can't even see it and hope it turns out right. But that's why it's even more important that I know how to make at least a few easy ones, right?

So I made Barefoot Contessa's Coconut Macaroon. It was so easy to make! Which made me very very happy and relaxed. And they come out so cute and pretty too. A pretty big payoff for very little work. I even wrapped some up and gave it as a lil gift. Chewy, sweet, coconutty...


Coconut Macaroons
(Ina Garten)

14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.

Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 3/4-inch diameter ice cream scoop, or 2 teaspoons. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and serve.

No comments: