7.01.2005

Abbot Kinney Row: Stroh's Gourmet

strohs

My only and brief encounter with the Abbot Kinney row is when I had dinner at Primitivo Wine Bistro last year. Driving down this eclectic and beachy road on a perfect California day, I am already many mental miles away from work. There are so many cute little stores and eateries. A few on my list: Jin Patisserie and Abbot's Pizza Company. But today I checked out Stroh's Gourmet.

Some time ago I was reading about the burst of businesses and restaurants on Abbot Kinney and was curious about a cheese shop. Well my search for the cheese shop ended at Stroh's Gourmet, which is more like a specialty foods store/deli. It carries both domestic and international cheese, cured meats such as prosciutto, wine and all kinds of candy and goodies. However, I needed to get lunch so I tried not to get too distracted, excited and buy a basketful of stuff which I end up doing sometimes.

stroh's2

Stroh's sandwiches are premade but upon request can be pressed into a toasty crunchy panino. This is exactly what I did for my Roast Beef Sandwich. It was filled with baby lettuce, carmelized onion, goat cheese and tomato. The panini grill did its job of giving my sammie great color and texture. I like how the heat wilts the greens a bit and softens the tomato. A perfect pick-me-up. Other sandwiches include turkey and tuna but next time I may request prosciutto. Note to self: buy panini grill.

I indulged a little bit and got a chunk of Cypress Grove's Humboldt Fog Goat's Milk Cheese. I am a big fan of goat cheese (and all cheeses!) so when I tasted this, oh man, it was so good. This cheese won 1st Prize for American Original Cheese at the American Cheese Society in 2002. It is mild, creamy in texture and not so goaty as others. It is covered in vegetable ash and also has a layer of ash running through the middle of the wheel. I got a small chunk, about 1/2 in width on the rind, for $6.25. A bit pricey, but definitely worth it. Uh oh, this may be the beginning of an expensive habit.

Stroh's Gourmet
1239 Abbot Kinney Blvd.
Venice, CA 90291
310.450.5119

No comments: