7.13.2005

Littleneck Clams with Chorizo and New Potatoes in White Wine Sauce

You can probably tell that most of my entries have been about what I eat out. I've been a bad lil girl.

Just a few months ago, I would rush home after work in anticipation of cooking a new dish. Many nights I even ate standing up between the chopping, sauteing and stirring. My parents thought I was a maniac cooking at 11 at night while they went off to sleep. This lasted for few months then I got tired. It's simply too hard to work, gym, socialize and cook fabulously all together during the week.

So in my efforts, I decided to make a nice weekend lunch for myself. I was craving some shellfish, as I often do, so I headed to Wholefoods which carries really fresh seafood products. I got some littleneck clams to steam up. No recipe and no measuring. The best way of stress-free cooking, imo.

Shellfish is pretty easy like that. A little onion and garlic with chorizo and potatoes. Then add clams with a pour of dry white wine. Sprinkle parsley and you are ready to go.

But here is an approximate recipe:

Littleneck Clams with Chorizo and New Potatoes in White Wine Sauce

1/2 chorizo link, sliced thinly at diagonal
1/2 cup dry white wine
chopped parsely to top
4 new potatoes, slice into 1/3 in rounds
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic
1.5 lbs littleneck clams or other steaming shellfish
1/2 baguette, sliced lengthwise
1 tbsp butter

1. Saute potato until almost cooked through. Add onion and garlic and saute for few minutes. Add chorizo and cook for few minutes.
2. Add clams and wine. Cover with lid until the clams have opened. Discard any that are still closed. Add butter to pan. Meanwhile, toast baguette in oven.
3. Sprinkle parsley over the clams. Serve in large bowl with nicely toasted baguette slices on top.
**Serves 2 as an entree.

No comments: