1.18.2007

Yoony Eats Paris: Le Petit Machon

After being thwarted one day by the Catacomb tour and our inaccurate guidebook, we puttered around Montparnasse a lil bit, sitting down for a nice cafe at Le Select while trying to dodge the spotty rain. Once the rain settled down we headed out and hit up a photography exhibition. Then when hunger kicked in we headed to the Lyonnais restaruant Le Petit Machon, which was nearby where we were strolling around. We almost got rejected since we came without reservations but thank goodness they let us in because my tummy was a grumblin.

saucisson

I went for their two course prefixe menu which went for around 35 euros. The Saucisson Lyonnais au Vin Rouge starter was delicious and nicely presented. Boy thought it reminded him of sausage and beans. The red wine sauce was velvety and flavorful and studded with a few raisans. I of course loved the sausage. And I spooned up every last bit of the delicious sauce.

andouillette

For my second course I chose the Andouillette Lyonniase Rotie Moutarde Fine. Two sausage dishes in a row? Yep! I hope I got that name right. I knew it was a sausage dish because andouillette sounds like andouille and that is a sausage fosho. But this French andouillette sausage is actually made from pig chitterlings and stomach. If it tasted really good I would be fine with this but it was kind of rubbery and gamey. I kept trying to like it but gave up in the middle of it. I kind of wish our server told us what it was then I would have order the pot au feu which would have been perfect for the cold evening. The potatoes that came with it were delicious though, all saucy from the creamy mustard sauce.

chicken

Boy got this chicken dish which came with the same sort of creamy mustard sauce that seasoned my potatoes. The chicken was super moist but overall the dish was kind of boring, like my dish. Although maybe if the sausage was something delicious I would have exclaimed excellent! After all potatoes and sausage make an excellent team. Overall the place was cute but I think everyone agreed the food was kind of plain and nothin special.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ordered the same Andouillette Lyonniase sausage and had the same reaction. I like my sausages sufficiently ground up so that I can't actually tell which organ parts were used. Call me high maintenance but I'm not a huge fan of well-defined innards.

susan said...

say no to well-defined innards! eek. ill stick to my saucissons thank you. at least i did eat half of that andouillette. i can confidently say now i've eaten pig colon and stomach.

Anonymous said...

the pictures of the dishes made me salivate...especially the potatoes...i love warm potatoes on a cold day....

if i judged the dishes on pictures alone, you would think the dishes were AMAZING!

justinsloe said...

"chitterlings" just sound gross

cricketwang said...

Just goes to show that you can't always trust the guidebook! Oh well...

At least you have the other yummy Parisian restaurants to blog about (I won't ruin your readers' surprise.)

Unknown said...

Visited the place in the summer of 2007 and despite being use to slightly more expensive places I loved everything about Le Petit Machon. Loved the service, especially the patron, he was a right joker. They never tried to be anything they weren't. If you expect snobby posh french waiters, you shouldnt go her. Food was simple and straight forward. You could taste all the ingredients, and i fell in-love with "Lyonnais".