1.17.2007

Yoony Eats Paris: Charcuterie, Cheese & Dining at Georges

cafe

Waking up pretty late from clubbing the night before and having had a lot to drink, we needed some nosh and more libation to get our evening going. A quick look into N's guidebook led us to Cafe de L'Industrie, which conveniently was just around the block. It was still pretty early and the place was empty and calm. Which was good because the seven of us were able to comfortably settle into a few tables in the back.

One bit of French dining that I love is starting off the meal with an aperitif. I do often start my dinners out with a glass of sparkling wine or Champagne but being presented with an aperitif menu upon arrival was nice. A drink to keep me company while I make food and wine choices. For my aperitif I ordered a glass of lillet, which I actually had once at Chez Panisse.

charcuterie

While sipping on the lillet I perused over the menus on the wall. I saw a "assiette de charcuterie" and I knew that was exactly what I needed. A nice plate of thinly sliced jambon, saucisson, pate and onion jam. My favorite was the saucisson, a dried-cured sausage ever so perfectly sliced into very thin pieces. The ham and pate were also delicious and I gobbled these up with the endless baskets of crusty baguette slices.

cheeseplate

We also ordered the cheese plate which featured a blue, a fresh goat cheese, a creamy brie, and a semi-hard cow's milk cheese like gruyere. Maybe it was gruyere but I didn't ask! The likelihood of me asking a question leading to mass confusion was very high. All the cheese were delicious and each piece so fresh and in such generous proportions. The blue cheese was so creamy and had the perfect amount of pungency. It was choice pairing for my charcuterie and glass of red wine.

After our casual noshing and chatting at Cafe de L'Industrie, we headed back to our flat for a short rest for we had a dinner reseravation at Georges at the Centre Pompidou. The restaurant which sits atop the top of the museum was supposed to have a great view of Paris. Because we were not early birds we didn't get a chance to take a look at the Centre's exhibitions and instead went straight to our dinner.

georges

The restaurant was super modern, diners were posh, and people who worked there all looked like models. It kind of felt like being back in LA. The view was great though from the top with the city being all lit up and stuff. However, we were seated right next to the entrance which didn't a view. :/ Instead, there were two sets of industrial heating vents that was blasting some hot ass air making the space really hot and stuffy. We ordered their supposedly famous mojito (although I don't know why a French restaurant would be good a making a proper mojito), and it was pretty bad. And we were shocked to find out it cost 15 euros!

And then it was time to wrestle the menu which had all sorts of cryptic names on it, like Crying Tiger which one would think was a spicy shrimp dish. But noo, it was steak marinated in cognac. We were all quite confused and bombarded N, the only one in our group fluent in French, with so many questions. Their menu was pretty international, covering French and also Southeast Asian flavors.

kingcrab

After much debate Boy and I ordered the King Crab in a Thai curry sauce for 39 euros. I was pretty skeptical of how the dish may turn out especially after having the very bad mojito but the dish was really good and the amount of crab was generous. I just wish I was having it at a restaurant in Thai Town for half the price. Anyhow, back to the delicious part - the crab meat was so tender and juicy and the curry sauce perfect for sopping up with a bowl of jasmine rice. And I got a few bites of E's steak dish, also an Asian twist, which came with nuoc cham for dipping. The steak was cooked so perfectly tender and juicy. The thought of it is making my mouth water now.

terence

T ordered Escargot only to find that two of the shells were empty. After many unsuccessful attempts to pry out the elusive snails, T turned to demolition determined to get those snails out. There he is up there fighting with the escargots. This was the highlight of the dinner for me, the *smash*smash* part that is. When cracked open the shells were indeed empty and the kitchen graciously sent out four more for him.

Whew, we finally got through the very long dinner of menu translating, menu explaining, escaped escargots, and non-mojitos, we walked out into the refreshingly brisk air and got a the quick view again of beautiful Paris from atop Centre Pompidou. Then we quickly made our exit and started our night of club hopping.

Here is me tired at about 2 in the morning. The crepe cart parked right outside the club we were in line for was selling beer. How awesome is that! It was awesome until I really had to goto the bathroom. But here I am enjoying a crepe au fromage and a cold heine.

crepe&beer

11 comments:

cricketwang said...

Is this the first of your posts where we see actual people?? I think it is! :)

Your line about Restaurant George "blasting some hot ass air making the space really hot and stuffy." totally cracked me up. Probably because I have a juvenile sense of humor, and kept on thinking what a restaurant would be like if it actually pumped in recirculated "hot ass air."

susan said...

yay real people time! haha, now you are cracking me up with your "recirculated hot ass air". it's possible because the inside of the restaurant looks like a cavity of a body, doesn't it? initially i thought teeth, molars to be exact, but maybe now intestines. lol.

justinsloe said...

"I just wish I was having it at a restaurant in Thai Town for half the price"

You could probably buy a person in Thai Town for half the price and have them make it for you.

The crab was tasty though.

Chubbypanda said...

Lol. You look just like my little sister. How trippy.

susan said...

hi chubbypanda,

i really don't look that young in real life. in real life i look really mean and scary. at least that's what people tell me.

softdistortion said...

looks like lots of fun and good eats! cute post

Anonymous said...

I <3 cornichons.

susan said...

oh yeah! i totally forgot about our ravaging on cornichon jars. i saw some really nice lookin cornichons at the beverly hills cheese store yesterday. yum.

Anonymous said...

i personally like the t story.... i would be very annoyed if i ordered food and half of the food was not there....especially if i had to work to find out that in the end, it was an empty shell....

oh~ a crepe sounds so good right now....

e d b m said...

Nice, food in one hand, beer in the other. You do it right.

Anonymous said...

Je recommanderai à tous ceux qui recherchent un prêt commercial à Le_Meridian, ils m'ont aidé avec un prêt de quatre millions de dollars pour démarrer mon entreprise de courtepointe et c'était rapide. Ils peuvent financer jusqu'à 500 000 000 000 $ (cinq cent millions de dollars) dans n'importe quelle région du monde tant qu'un ROI de 1,9% peut être garanti sur les projets. Le processus a été rapide et sécurisé. Ce fut définitivement une expérience positive. Évitez les arnaqueurs ici et contactez Le_Meridian Funding Service sur. lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com. WhatsApp ... + 19893943740. si vous cherchez un prêt commercial.