9.26.2006

Stone Brewery 10th Anniversary

tiks

Gargoyle - A fearsome figure carved from stone that has powers to ward off evil spirits. The Stone Brewing Co. gargoyle wards off modern day evil spirit such as chemical preservatives, additives, & adjuncts. One taste, and you can tell he does his job very well.

Boy and I like Stone and beer. So off we headed to their 10th anniversary celebration which boasted 40 guest breweries. The proceeds were to be donated as charity to different groups including Boys and Girls Club of San Marcos and YMCA of Escondido. According to the current calculations, they already passed the $62K they raised last year. At $25 a person for 10 tasters, it was good money spent and good money raised.

Here are some of the ones I drank:
Alpine Brewing Co (Alpine, CA) - Duet, Pure Hoppiness
Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown, NY) - Hennepin
Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (Milton, DE) - Punkin Ale, Dogfish 90 Min
Russian River Brewing Co (Santa Rosa, CA) - Depravation, Blind Pig, Pliny the Elder
Avery Brewing Co (Boulder, CO) - Maharaja
Marin Brewing Co (Larkspur, CA) - Hopsicle
Port Brewing (Carlsbad & Solana Beach, CA) - Avalanche
Victory Brewing Co (Dowington, PA) - Prima Pils

The beer that stole the show for both Boy and I was the Russian River's Depuration, a just-bottled unreleased beer that the brewmaster (Viinie Cilurzo) poured for us on the side. It was one of the best drink I've ever tasted. Aged in white wine barrels, it had a fruity complexity and smoothness I never knew could exist in a beer.
Blonde Ale aged in French oak Chardonnay barrels with white wine grapes for one year with three strains of Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, & Pediococcus
Depravation is truly amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on some.

My other favorites were Alpine's Duet and Pure Hoppiness. Boy and I had previously gotten a taste of Alpine at the Strong Ale Festival at the Carlsbad outlet of Pizza Port. It was our favorite brewery there so it's no surprise that they would please us again. Lots of delicious hops came from these two beer which are both categorized as San Diego Pale Ales on their site.

And the always delicious Prima Pils from Victoria Brewing. The best pils I've ever had. Light, refreshing with a good malt background, I always get happy when I see this one in Boy's fridge.

Wait, I love Avery's Maharaja too! So many good beers at this festival. I'm already looking forward to next year's celebration.

If I could fill up my fridge with the above beers, lambics and saisons I'd be a very happy girl. Of course, food is a whole 'nother list. Definitely some Korean bbq, babyback ribs and sausages up in there.

weeheavy

I didn't have this beer because it's wee heavy for me. But you gotta love the name.

bar

After the celebration o' beer and a much needed nap we heaed out to Liar's Club for more beer. With a side of delicious jalapeno hush puppies I sipped on my Russian River Pliny the Elder for some more hops. Damn, why is Russian River so good! We ended the night by retreating back into our hotel room and chillin with a nightcap of Fat Tire to lull us into sleep. It was a beautiful weekend in San Diego filled with delicious beverages. What all weekends should be like, minus the slight sunburn.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have two fridges: one for Izze and Beer (lambics, imo), and then the other for me--so you can hand all the leftovers directly over when you put them in. ;)

susan said...

haha, like a time-machine fridge where the food can be transported directly to wyoming by placing in the fridge where all gravity collapses and dex can be queen of yoon leftovers. tee hee.

justinsloe said...

one fridge just filled with beer?

hrmmm - how come you don'ty like mine?

;)

susan said...

that would be bc you don't have a second one filled with delicious food that'll make my tummy happy. instead you got one fridge with beer, condiments & that's about it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Yoony - Ya' know I bought a case of the 10th Anniversary IPA...it's gone now, but it was good while it lasted!

susan said...

hi kirk! i've been enjoying those 10th ann ipas too. :) nothing like a glass of chilled quality beer.

Chubbypanda said...

Yoony,

Excellent. I love the Stone products. Have ever since my college days when one of my TAs suggested that I try their Arrogant Bastard Ale, since it had obviously been brewed just for me. Nice guy; I got an A.

- Chubbypanda