8.23.2005

A's Birthday Lunch Update

quesadilla

Last minute changes to the Plans...
I was very thrown off when I had to suddenly cut down part of the menu for a lunch gathering which suddenly composed of less than half the original number of guests. Definitely better than upgrading to more guests though.

No grill...
I did not make the Grilled Vege Sandwich nor Grilled Quesadilla. I changed up the quesadilla and combined the two types into one: Oven Toasted Shrimp, Roasted Pasillo & Garlic Chip Quesadilla instead of 1) shrimp and 2)roasted pasillo/garlic chip. The combination was definitely better with all the different flavors bursting with each bite and plus the deliciously refreshing mango salsa.

greens

Reliable salad...
The Mixed Greens w/Balsamic Onions, Toasted Walnuts & Gorgonzola was delicious. I will have to make Balsamic Onions more often. Just cut two red onions into rings and season with salt and pepper and drizzle well with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Stick it in a hot oven for about 30 minutes. Until it looks soft, roasted and smells good. Take it out and douse a bit more balsamic vinegar so it can soak up that goodness while it's hot. It's an easy way to dress up your salad greens. I know there's an onion hanging out somewhere in your kitchen so try it. Sweet balsamic onions, tangy blue cheese with nutty, crunchy walnuts. That's good stuff.

pavlova

The pavlova problem....
My pavlovas tend to collapse a lot as it cools down. Very stressful indeed. So I made another one which came out opposite of the first. Meaning it came out flatter and not so collapsed. Now I was stuck with two undesirables. Then I got a brilliant idea to turn the first pav base upside down and place the second one on top to make a high base. Yay! But I didn't think people would be able to finish the double decker pavlova by themselves so I just took the first upside down base. It worked perfectly and people flipped for it. Pavlovas do that to people. It's so simple and so good. I think it's the freshly whipped creeeaammm...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that you did end up bringing the watermelon gazpacho too! Everything was so amazing, Cagey! And still, a thousand apologies for the last minute plan changes - I know you're really looking forward to everything. :( I'll make it up to you! -Dex

susan said...

Oops, I totally forgot to include the gazpacho! No problem about last minutes changes. Happy to have fed you guys. :) Can't have Dex & A starving on me now.